Tuesday 8 October 2013

My Favorite Band

This is always difficult. Through my life, I have had several favorite bands or singers, which I keep listening to. But, I've never been the kind of girl that goes crazy about bands or people that I don't actually know (like personally), maybe because I don't believe they actually care about other people (that they don't know), like their fans. Although, I have had some bands which you could probably call like my favorites. But at this moment I don't feel some fanaticism for any band or singer. 
Thirty seconds to Mars was, in a moment of my life, about two years ago, my favorite band. It's a north american band, specifically from USA, of alternative rock. I had the opportunity to see them perform live, when they came to Chile, invited by Lollapalooza, in 2011. But after I watched them perform live, I somehow started to loose interest on them, not because they weren't good or something, it just happened. 
After that I didn't really have a favorite band, I just listened what I thought was good music, mostly rock and alternative rock. But then I listened to indie music, with Franz Ferdinand, I thought it was pretty cool, so I begun to listen more and more bands that followed this genre.
Well, with the pass of time, I found out that indie was more like a way of living, not just a music genre. Indie comes from the word independent, and of course it refers to everything that is made by independent, free people, away from big companies. It refers to clothes, to music, videos, decoration, etc., basically everything that can be done without the big companies that capitalism promote. So, it's a way of living, being indie means that. It means being independent and free. I don't believe I'm that kind of person, but of course I feel very attracted to this option, I would like to be more like that (and I don't have any excuse to justify why I'm not doing it). Well, this kind of music is really cool, but there's a lot of sub genres that go from indie rock to indie pop, going through a lot of other sub-genres. I prefer indie rock and indie folk. 
At this moment, I'm listening more of indie folk (which is kind of relaxing and very hippie). So, I think that right now my favorite band would be one of this genre, it could be two bands: Fleet Foxes and Of monsters and men. 
Fleet Foxes is an american band, of 5 members. They make folk music, some songs are very moved and others, slow. But they commonly sing about human condition, like soul and things on that line. My favorite song, from this band, could be "Mykonos", because of the rhythm of the song. I would like to know what the song means, but there are so many interpretations that I don't really know what to think.


Of monsters and men is a band, formed of 6 members (just one woman), that come from Iceland, but sing in English. They write indie folk and pop music. They're a really good band, that also came to Chile with Lollapalooza (I think this year), but I couldn't go to see them. They're also very sacrificed, because they are far away from their home and they miss it, they even have a song about them living so far away from their country and their families, called "From Finner".Their songs are about monsters and fantastic creatures, about landscapes and their country. My favorite song is "Dirty Paws", which is kind of a story about an animal, with dirty paws and a furry coat, that lived in a forest and when a battle began between the bees and the birds, this animal helped the birds against the bees; well it's about an enchanted forest and the creatures that live in it. So like I said, they sing about monsters and strange creatures, a lot like fairy tales, but more creepy.



3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy listening to 30STM, since one a close friend of mine is a big big fan. With Franz Ferdinand, I remember watching them at Festival de Viña going crazy around the house jumping and singing, it was pretty fun! I really like Indie Music too but I don't listen to it as much as I'd like to (and just like you, I don't really have an excuse to justify it, I'm just a lazy being in every aspect of my life). I've heard a couple of songs of Of Monsters And Men but haven't paid much attention! When I get home, I'll definitely listen to Dirty Paws, it sounds like a nice song. Also, I must admit that the story with 'the birds and the bees' made me think of something, but not actually the literal meaning, if you know what I mean... I love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh the same happened to me! when I went to the concert of Panic at the disco something happened to me.. I don't know, I just stopped being a fanatic of groups.
    I love all the bands that you showed, I use to love Jared leto and and his acting career and and, well that's all because we are leaving the computer room right now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't love 30 seconds to mars? Ok, they are people who doesn't like it, but they are great! And of the other groups I have ever listened them before, but I like that kind of music too, but not for listen it every single moment of the day, maybe just for relax or travel time. And now I'm going to listen the songs you described.

    ReplyDelete